Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Bob Kays Internship Experience: Part 2

Presenting all day every day.

So I’m back. The last couple days have been very busy. I had to give a project update presentation yesterday morning (Wednesday) to our division general manager about the status of a particular project we were working on. I had it already to go Tuesday afternoon when at about 430pm, I found out from my boss that some new information developed which could change the scope of the project. So I had to make some major edits to my presentation and had to stay at work till about 9pm (Although, I have to say with California’s economy in the tank and the Governator raising UC tuitions, I could use the overtime pay). My boss also said product management is a very dynamic position in the company and that things are constantly changing, so that this was a good experience for what product management is really like. So although the logistics of last minute changes are tough, its pretty cool to work in such a dynamic position.

Fortunately the presentation went really well, my boss and the general manager were pleased and the project is approved for the next phase. I probably won’t be able to finish the whole entire project because I have only a little over a month left, but it has been pretty cool being able to get it to this point.

Needless to say, I was a little tired today (Thursday) but had to get my game face on again this morning because I had to do another presentation for the internship program. The program has 2 other MBA interns (another one in product management and one in market analysis) and a ton of other interns in other areas of the company such as R&D, engineering and computer sciences. The presentation this morning went well and its good to get them both out of the way so I don’t have to worry about them. Oh well off to get a burrito at La Cumbre in scenic downtown San Mateo (If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend it. Its kind of weird though because i grew up in San Mateo and I used to go there when I was in high school).


Coming up next week:

We just launched a market research survey this morning and we already have over 1000 respondents (so much easier to get respondents with company resources compared to having to bribe fellow students and friends to take it like we did in our MGT249 market research class.

As soon as we get more information back about the survey, Ill talk more about how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment